B.A. in Philosophy
A major in philosophy consists of 33 credits chosen from the department offerings. The total requirement is deliberately kept small to encourage the student to combine courses in philosophy with solid concentrations in such other areas as his or her interests and career goals suggest, with dual majors encouraged.
All courses that may apply to the major are included in the determination of the grade point average in the major.
- Choose ONE:
- PHIL 100C – SQ Basic Logic (3)
- PHIL 240C – P4 Symbolic Logic (3)
- PHIL 211C – P2 Ancient Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 312C – P2 Medieval Philosophy (3)
- Choose TWO:
- PHIL 313C – P2 Modern Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 314C – P2 Contemporary Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 316C – P2 Nineteenth-Century Philosophy (3)
- PHIL 350C – P2 Renaissance Seminar (3)
- SIX additional philosophy electives*
Total: 33 credits
*Although 100 level courses in philosophy may be used to fulfill this requirement, no courses from the foundational areas of Core 2020 may apply. These areas include Learning Community, Research-Based Writing, and Data Analysis courses.