Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Students will identify and analyze problems, and create strategic solutions by applying knowledge and research of media industries.
- Students will keep abreast of current developments in the media industries from at least three of the following perspectives: cultural, technological, economic, historical, and ethical.
- Students will learn to conduct academic and media research using academic literature/white papers to develop responses to an academic or industry question or problem.
- Students will develop both quantitative and qualitative analytical and research skills to analyze and solve media industry problems.
Goal #2 Students will consider both ethical issues and issues of diversity in applying strategic plans.
- Students will apply ethical decision making to communication issues.
- Students will apply issues of race, class, and gender to communication issues in the context of an analysis of a media text.
Goal #3 Students will lead teams and apply theories of project management.
- Students will apply project management principles to a group (client-based) project.
Goal #4 Students will develop their networking skills and build professional portfolios.
- Students will develop networking skills to pursue internship and campus experiential activities.
- Students will build professional portfolios.
Goal #5 Students will develop skills in writing and presentation.
- Students will write clearly and accurately, with particular attention to purpose and audience.
- Students will write grammatically and professionally.
- Students will speak and present clearly and concisely, with attention to audience and presentation of self.
Goal #6 Students will develop skills in visual presentation and communication technologies.
- Students will develop an understanding of the formalistic (aesthetic) aspects of design and visual communication.
- Students will demonstrate cross-platform (web, mobile, broadcast, print) storytelling skills.