B.S. in Sport Management
For students majoring in sport management, all courses designated as sport management (SPST) that may be applied to the major are included in the determination of the grade point average in the major.
Sport Management Courses - 38/41 credits
- SPST 100 - Introduction to Sport Management (3)
- SPST 105 - Sport Industry Seminar (1)
- SPST 240 - Sport Law (3)
- SPST 245 - Software in Sport (3)
- SPST 280 - Theory and Behavior of Sport Organizations (3)
- SPST 320 - Sport Marketing and Promotions (3)
- SPST 380 - Sales and Client Services (3)
- SPST 390 - Practicum (3)
- SPST 399 - Research and Evaluation (3)
- SPST 401 - Sport Business and Finance (3)
- SPST 420 - Sport Leadership and Ethics (3)
- SPST 421 - Capstone in Sport (1)
- SPST 490 - Internship (3–6)
- SPST 499 - Sport Management Seminar (3)
Electives - 9 credits
Choose THREE sport management electives from the following two areas. You must take at least one course from each area.
- SPST 201P - P3 Sport and Society (3)
- SPST/HIST 203 - History of Sport (3)
- SPST 205 - CC Gender and Sport (3)
- SPST/PSYC 212 - Psychology of Sport and Physical Activity (3)
- SPST 225P - P3 Sport and American Culture (3)
- SPST 235 - LC Ethics in Sport (3)
- SPST 265 - P5 International Cultures & Sport (3)
- SPST 270 - P5 Cultural Understanding Through Sport Film (3)
- SPST/COMM 375 - Sport and Social Media (3)
- SPST 231 - College Athletics (3)
- SPST 250 - Facility and Operations Management (3)
- SPST 255 - Sustainability in Sport (3)
- SPST 260 - Sport and Recreation Management (3)
- SPST/ECON 330 - Economics of Sport (3)
- SPST 350 - Negotiation and Athlete Representation (3)
- SPST 365D - CC International Sport (3)
- SPST 460 - Event Planning and Sponsorship Sales (3)
- SPST 497 - Baseball Ops Challenge (3)
Liberal Arts Courses - 12 credits
- COMM 253 - Business Communication (3)
- ECON 105C - P3 Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- ECON 221 - SQ Statistics I (3)
- Choose ONE:
- REST 386D - Morality in Business (3)
- PHIL 273C - Business Ethics (3)
Accounting and Management Courses - 9 credits
- ACCT 101 - Principles of Accounting I (3)
- ACCT 102 - Principles of Accounting II (3)
- MKGT 221 - Marketing Principles (3)
Total: 68-71 credits
Note: Sport management majors must obtain a grade of "C" or higher in all SPST courses used for major requirements. SPST courses in which the student earns a "C-" or lower must be repeated if the course is to be used as part of the major.
A Minor in Another Discipline
The interdisciplinary nature of the sport management program provides students with a broad perspective of sport as business and its role in society. To narrow their perspective, students are strongly encouraged to minor in one of the following related areas: accounting, economics, media and communication, computer science, management (general business, finance, marketing), psychology, or sociology.
Practicum and Internship Courses
An important part of the sport management major is the experiential learning opportunities offered through the practicum and internship courses. These courses allow students to learn more effectively by applying classroom theory to real work experience. Students also build a portfolio and make contacts with leading professionals.
Sport management majors are also eligible to participate in an advanced field experience. This 12-credit internship allows students to spend an entire semester with an approved sport organization located outside the Western New York area. Students eligible for this experience will have demonstrated both excellence in the classroom and an ability to work independently.
A student is eligible for the practicum course upon earning 60 credits (with a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the major) and is eligible for the internship upon earning 90 credits (with a minimum GPA of 2.75 in the major).