Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Analyze, interpret and understand philosophical texts and discourse.
- Identify and describe the main aim(s) and assumptions of a text or thinker
- Separate understanding a text from evaluating a text
- Summarize and explicate the main support from the conclusion(s) of an argument
- Identify key terms for analysis
Goal #2 Demonstrate fluency with the major traditions, figures, concepts and methods of philosophy.
- Explain methodology of philosophy compared to other disciplines
- Distinguish a priori and empirical claims
- Understand key concepts in areas of philosophy
- Connect areas of philosophy
- Demonstrate fluency with major historical traditions in philosophy
Goal #3 Be aware of other major ethical traditions and be able to apply them to their personal and professional lives.
- Explore frameworks of meaning and value within philosophical traditions
- Explore connections between personal and societal values and practices
- Identify similarities and differences among philosophical systems
Goal #4 Develop, organize and express ideas in a precise, clear, effective and systematic manner.
- Research, plan and structure a philosophical paper
- Use formal and informal logic to make and analyze arguments
- Formulate arguments for and against a position
- Reach and convey well-reasoned conclusions