Program Goals and Student Learning Outcomes
Goal #1 Statistical: Be trained and experienced in statistical reasoning, in designing studies (including practical aspects), in exploratory analysis of data by graphical and other means, and in a variety of formal inference procedures.
- Knowledge of statistical theory (e.g., distributions of random variables, point and interval estimation, hypothesis testing, Bayesian methods)
- Knowledge of graphical data analysis methods
- Competency in the design of studies (e.g., random assignments, replication, blocking, analysis of variance, fixed and random effects, diagnostics in experiments; random sampling, stratification in sample surveys; data exploration in observational studies)
- Be able to do statistical modeling (e.g., simple, multiple, and logistic regression; categorical data; diagnostics; data mining)
Goal #2 Computational: Be familiar with standard statistical software, data management and algorithmic problem solving.
- Have an understanding of programming concepts and their applications in statistics
- Knowledge of the professional statistical software appropriate for a variety of tasks
Goal #3 Mathematical: Have knowledge of probability, statistical theory, and any prerequisite mathematics (especially calculus and linear algebra).
- Knowledge of Calculus (integration and differentiation) through multivariable calculus
- Knowledge of linear algebra (emphasis on matrix manipulations, linear transformations, projections in Euclidean space, eigenvalue/eigenvector decomposition and singular value decomposition)
- Probability: emphasis on connections between concepts and their applications in statistics
Goal #4 Communicating & Consulting: Be able to write clearly, speak fluently, and have developed skills in collaboration and teamwork and organizing and managing projects.
- Be able to demonstrate effective technical writing and presentations skills
- Demonstrate teamwork and collaborative skills
- Demonstrate effective planning for data collection
- Competency in data management